Copyright © 2010, Najla Dances. All Rights Reserved
An ancient art form with a modern twist.
Interested in taking classes? Najla currently teaches three different classes, each with a distinct focus as well as opportunities to combine classes. Classes are held on Sunday evenings in central Austin at Tarrytown Dance. Check the calendar for current class listings. Rates and online registration are available through Eventbrite.
Beginner Belly Dance, Sunday evenings 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- This class is designed for students new to the dance, or those that want to work on fundamental movement and technique. Each month a new topic is introduced, with the idea that a new student to belly dance can gain a strong foundation in the dance over the course of six months.
Mixed-level Belly Dance, Sunday evenings 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- This class is designed for students who want to work on their technique and perfect their belly dance skills. With a mix of drills, combinations, choreography and improvisation, this class is ideal for a dancer who has a strong understanding of fundamental belly dance movement.
- Experience with zils and veil is highly recommended.
- This class may be combined at a discounted rate with either the fundamentals or performance class.
Performance and Choreography, Sunday evenings 6:45 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- This class is designed for students who are interested in solo and group performance opportunities. In this class, Najla will explore more advanced and challenging dance technique, including performances with props, improvisation, designing choreography and deepening your understanding of Middle Eastern music, culture and costuming.
- Enrollment in this class is subject to the instructor’s approval. Students attending the performance class must be simultaneously registered for the mixed-level technique class
- This class is required for membership in the Baharat Belly Dance Ensemble. Members of the ensemble may be required to purchase troupe costumes for group performances.